Clavicle Fracture Instructions
- Call you surgeon if you develop any of the following:
Take pain medication with food as prescribed
- Temperature above 101 degrees
- Persistent nausea and vomiting
- Severe pain not relieved by your pain medication
- Excessive bleeding or drainage on the dressing
- Coldness or paleness of the operative extremity
The pain medication may cause nausea or vomiting
Resume your normal medication
Resume your diet as tolerated
If you have not yet made your post-op appt for two weeks after surgery, call Dr. Hansen’s office to do so.
- Please follow your surgeons specific postop instructions carefully, including:
- Keep dressing clean and dry. Remove in 48 hours.
- Keep steri-strips in place.
- May shower 72 hours after surgery. Make sure the incision and dressing are dry afterward, change dressing as needed.
- Ice consistently. On for 20 minutes then off for 20 minutes, keep alterating on and off for the first 72 hours. The “off” period should prevent skin burning from the ice.
- It is anticipated that you will wear the shoulder sling for a minimum of two weeks after surgery. This may be longer depending of the findings during surgery.
- Remove the forearm part of the shoulder sling twice a day, starting the day after surgery, and begin below, wrist, and hand motion.
- You may resume all your regular medications unless instructed by Dr. Hansen.
- Call Dr. Hansen’s office at 801-262-8486 to report any problems.
General anesthesia patients and patients using prescription pain medication:
For the next 24 hours, DO NOT:
- Drink any alcohol
- Make any important decisions
- Drive or operate any heavy equipment
For any questions or concerns feel free to call Dr. Hansen at 801-262-8486 and his secretary or the night phone referral system will be able to contact him.